Monday, December 26, 2016

The Pain That Keeps Us From Loving



The drive for security, pleasure and power, discussed at http://gordon-feil-theology.blogspot.ca/2016/12/my-addictions.html, are addictions.  They masquerade as “needs”, but I really have only a few physical and psychological needs. I read in I Timothy 6:8 “If we have food and covering, with these we shall be content.” If I have what I need to eat and I have protection from the elements and other dangers, physically what else do I need?  Of course this takes for granted that I have fresh air to breathe and the rest and relaxation I need.  In addition, I am hard wired with the need to be loved and to be needed as William Glasser taught in his writings.  

Ken Keyes, Jnr, in various works, explained that these addictions trigger separating emotions. When I feel I am not getting my security, pleasure or power wants met, then I experience emotions that are me refusing to accept what is going on.  I might be afraid, bored, irritated, angry, or any of several other emotions that say I don’t enjoy it. 

My thoughts, filtered through and shaped by these security, pleasure and power addictions lead to separating emotions (instead of unifying emotions as Keyes called them).  Emotions lead to action.  Action, when repeated, leads to habits. Habits shape character, and character shapes thoughts.  So, if I am allowing myself to just be my natural self, I am locked into a cycle that is rife with problems.  This mind is what the writer Paul describes as a “corrupt nature” or the “fleshly mind”, depending on how we choose to translate the Greek language in which he wrote it.  Romans 8:7-8: “This is so because the corrupt nature has a hostile attitude toward God. It refuses to place itself under the authority of God’s standards because it can’t. Those who are under the control of the corrupt nature can’t please God.” So, this attitude of unbridled security, pleasure and power addictions --- the way I naturally am --- is hostile toward God and will not subject itself to his standards.  I plan to discuss that in a later posting.

Yes, my natural mind IS a problem for me.  My security, pleasure and power addictions trigger emotions that are definitely not happiness.  They ruin my peace of mind, and these emotions are painful.  They demand my attention.  They render me self absorbed. This focus on the pain of my unfulfilled wants keeps me from loving, both others and myself.

Further, these emotions induce me to action, and that action is my effort to try to manipulate situations to control their outcomes. That whole focus does nothing for my peace of mind.  It is selfish and not promoting love. Thankfully there is resolution, but that is for later discussion….




No comments:

Post a Comment